**Please make note of the revised ending time and schedule for
This event is open to all Van Antwerp students, high school students and family members of middle school age and older. View/download the flier and permission slip for this event.
Mrs. Burke, a middle school social studies teacher, was an important part of our school community. She distinguished herself through her service to students, excellence in teaching and by being a dear friend and colleague.
We encourage students to participate in this event to celebrate the memory of Mrs. Burke through a community night of reading, music and games. We will also be collecting optional donations to the causes listed below.
There will be two canisters in the gymnasium lobby for donations. Please do not donate coins. No fundraising or donations are necessary to participate in this event. The two organizations we are accepting donations towards are…
Our reading event will begin at 6:45 sharp. Please arrive to the gym at 6:30
p.m. on January 13.
I-Pods, personal music devices, e-readers, tablets, etc. may be used with ear buds or head phones. This is for listening to audio books and music while reading only. Cell phones may be utilized for music or e-reading, but we ask that student not place calls or text.
The event is limited to the 6th grade hallway and gymnasium. Please avoid walking the building, going to lockers or venturing into any other areas of the building.
There will be two activity periods as breaks during reading. One activity period will be cooperative games in the gym and the other will be an activity to benefit the Ronald McDonald House.
6:30 –Arrival & collection of donations
6:45- Welcome presentation and instructions
7:00- Silent reading block #1
7:45-Activity Block and snacks
8:15-Silent reading block #2
8:45-Closing announcements and activities
9:00-Clean up & pack up/End
1. Participation in this event is optional.
2. The event is for Van Antwerp middle and high school students and family members of at least 6th grade age.
3. Students must attend the entire event and agree to behave appropriately. Silent reading is required. Socializing during the reading blocks is not permitted. It is expected that students will not ask to leave the gym during reading blocks unless it is absolutely necessary.
4. All money raised goes directly to the organizations listed on the first page. Giving money is optional.
5. Students are not permitted to go to any part of the school except the gym and 6th grade hallway.
6. Students can read a book of their choice. Please double-check that their reading material is school appropriate.
7. Sleeping bags, pillows, and blankets are suggested for comfort.
8. Wear comfortable clothing. Wear sneakers and socks for the activity blocks. Please remember the school dress code for clothing choices.
9. Parent volunteers are welcome. If a parent wants to volunteer, please contact Mr. Rakoczy at email@example.com. Parents do not need to accompany children to this event, but are welcome.
10. Adults picking up students at the end of the event are welcome to come in to the gym at 8:45 p.m. to see the end of the event. Your help with the clean up of student belongings is also appreciated.
Thank you for your participation and ongoing support.
Please direct questions to Mr. Rakoczy